Monday, June 13, 2011

Day 7

  • What I did today
Today has been one of the many days that I've been looking forward to! Excursion day. Yes, just at the thought of seeing whales out in the open ocean, and doing the BridgeWalk a couple hundred feet in the air above water, just gives me the goose-bumps and the thrill of the day!

One thing though. Whale Watching was cancelled... Funny story. So I woke up this morning, all pumped up and ready to go, when I went down to breakfast with Katie and Bridget. We had a wonderful, delicious breakfast (scrambled eggs, sausages, fruit, toast with butter and honey), and once we finished, we got up to go wait outside in the lobby area. Halfway there, Katie reminds the both of us that we have to take Dramamine (something for motion sickness, you know, if we get a little sick out in the ocean with nowhere to run)... And so me, always being the one prepared (most of the time), take out the Dramamine tablets and give each other two of them and hold it out with our fingers, just staring at them. We pour ourselves a glass of water and take them, and probably in less than second (even less than that, if possible), Mr. Schagrin comes up behind us three and tells us not to take Dramamine because the Whale Watching excursion is cancelled due to the ugly weather conditions. And so we look at each other and burst out laughing! Too late. After a couple minutes of playing Apples-to-Apples and the Knives Game, it starts to hit us. Katie is pretty much half asleep, Bridget looks as if she's about to pass out again, and me, well I'm still holding in... somewhat. It wasn't until during the long walk to Paddy's Market that I was almost walking with my eyes almost closed. Talk about sleepy for the entire day!
I was sad that Whale Watching was cancelled last minute. I really wanted to see whales... But, my mood was a bit more high-spirited when we went to the market. When we got there, it was actually quite nice, a little packed though. But, a market is a market... We got a lot of cool, cheap stuff! And when we walked out, we walked straight into yet another long walk to the harbor area. We dropped by to the Rocks again for a quick lunch and a bit more shopping, but then as soon as we were done, we got another head start for another long walk to the BridgeWalk... There was a lot of preparation done for this! Getting on our jumpsuits, our safety equipment in place... I was the first one in line (right behind the tour guide... he knew my name, too)!
This was the moment I have been waiting for this whole day! It was really windy, and about halfway up, it started raining... For the third day in a row, wow. It wasn't that long of a walk up to the summit of the Bridge, maybe about 30 minutes or so... but with the stopping and taking of pictures (including the preparation stuff down) and walking back down to ground again, it took almost 3 hours! It was definitely worth it though! When I got to the summit of the Bridge, I felt a sense of accomplishment. I'm usually a person who isn't afraid of heights, but when I first looked at how high the Bridge actually was, I was very surprised! When I got up to the top, I saw the most magnificent view of the Opera House and the city itself! It was completely breathless! I've never seen anything like it, and seeing today as our last day in Sydney, it was the perfect way to end and leave this city... Being up there felt so good, and as we were heading back down, I personally didn't want to. Sometimes, I felt like I didn't have my harness attached and the wind would blow me over... That was the best feeling! I wanted to stay up there forever! But I knew that couldn't happen... Like my goal at the beginning of the trip, I made the most out of this moment, and will never forget it! It was so amazing, there's no words to describe it! After we came back down and got back to "ourselves" again and down on the ground, we met up with the other group that went to the Blue Mountains and went to the Sydney Harbor, once again, and in the dark, we enjoyed the city light show! It was beautiful! And like every other day, we finished off the night walking back to the hotel, through the city, this time "accidentally" walking through the "interesting, slightly inappropriate areas" of the city. Wayyy too many clubs, that's for sure. however, we enjoyed a great dinner and definitely slept well, that's for sure!
Our last day in Sydney and by far the BEST!!!
Who would have ever guessed that I climbed up to the peak of the 
Sydney Bridge?!

No comments:

Post a Comment